This is just one more step in what already has been a remarkable journey:
- Canadian PR exec feels he has a novel in him,
- writes the novel in his spare time,
- searches with no success for an agent or a publisher,
- self publishes his novel,
- sets up a blog,
- reads the novel chapter by chapter in a podcast,
- builds a fan base of people who read and love the novel,
- gets noticed by the Leacock Medal Committee,
- is shortlisted for the Leacock Medal,
- wins the Leacock Medal as Canada’s top humorous novel,
- gets a big time literary agent,
- gets a publishing deal with prestigious McLelland and Stewart,
- writes a second novel,
- has both novels on the bestseller list,
- is nominated to the 10th Anniversary Canada Reads search for the essential Canadian novel of the past decade,
- is shortlisted for the Canada Reads award,
- is selected as THE essential Canadian novel by the Canada Reads panel of celebrity judges…
Talk about a Cinderella story!
And what did Terry do immediately after learning that he’d won the Canada Reads competition? Well, he came to work. Talent, celebrity and still has his feet on the ground.
Happily for me, Terry’s workplace is Thornley Fallis. And our Mike Edgell grabbed him long enough to record this video interview. Watch it to see how one of the nicest guys around reacts when he discovers all of his dreams are coming true.